Economic potentials of Kurdistan Province in the fields of Industries & Mines
1- lntroduction of Kurdistan province
1.1- Geographical situation &political Divisions
The province of Kurdistan with 28000 sq. Km ( 1.7 percent of Iran’s total area) Is Located in the west of Iran &in The vicinity of Iraq.
The neighbors of Kurdistan province are as Follow:
In the north: west Azerbaijan &Zanjan province
In the west: Iraq
In the south: Kerman shah province.
In the East: Hamadan &a part of Zanjan Province;
Sanandaj is the center city of Kurdistan province According to the last political subdivisions; Kurdistan has 9 cities, 23 towns, 27 districts, 83 large village & 1738villages. And other important city of Kurdistan includes:
Baneh, Bijar, Saqqez , Divandarreh, Qorveh, Marivan, Kamyaran, Dehgolan & Sarvabad .
1.2- Natural Environment &climate
Due to Special Situation of topography of the province and high rate of rain falls (equivalent450-600 mm/year) and snow falls Kurdistan has many rivers of water and provide water needed of some rivers in country such as Simineh Rood, Gavehrood, Gezel Ozan, Zarrineh Rood, Karkheh, and Sirvan. Existing a large amount of water resources in the region provided development of agriculture, and Animal husbandry in province. And caused, to have beautiful nature and mild and moderate summer. There are two different Climates in Kurdistan. In the mountainous 8tf"eaand high plains the weather is mainly Moderate- dries with cold winters. But in The valise & part of the west of province, the weather is moderate.
Kurdistan environment is under the influence of warm & humid Mediterranean & Atlas Ocean flows. They caused vernal rain & winter snow falls. The flows which are the main reason for the rain & snow falls of the entire country – by passing over the Kurdistan province contact Zagross heights, therefore they leave a large amount of humidity by forming of snow & rain.
1.3- Historic Background
Kurdistan is a part of a land which was administered by meds Dominion.
According to the historic texts & archeology investigations many historians believe that Kurds have been one of the main branches of Aryan races who had immigrated to the present region about 2000 years B.C Kurds are Iranian. Their language and culture are molded & mixed with other Iranian tribes .
1.4- population &Manpower
Based on the latest official estimate in 2001, population of Kurdistan province is 1,470,000. %55 live in the cities & %45 in the villages the ratio of men to Women is almost one; Le.%51are men &%49 are women.
%42.7are under 15 Years of age.
%53.1 are in the rang of 15-64.
%4.2 are 65 years or older.
%99.9 of the whole population are Muslims.
The average population density is 47/2km in the Kurdistan province. The highest density is in Sanandaj 123 person/2km, & the lowest is in Bijar with 19/2km.
1.5- Infrastructures &general services
1.5.1- Roads connection
Nowadays roads Transportation network considerably has been improved and make it so easy to access to Hamadan, West Azarbijans, Kermanshah & Zanjan provinces, Development and equipping these roads, make easy transportation. This subject has caused that private investors are interested in investing in Kurdistan industries & mines section.
1.5.2- lndustrial districts
The Industrial Townships Corporation of Kurdistan - by submitting main services and proper places - provides suitable condition for Industrial investment in Kurdistan.
It provides facilities (water, electricity, telephones, natural gas, etc) to the investors in the industrial township.
1.5.3- Fuel &Energy
Natural gas: All cities in Kurdistan province are using natural gas, so the industrial section not only has no problem in order to provide fuel for the entire of the year, but using gas has caused a clean environment over the industrial space.
Kurdistan province was connected to the main network of country electricity from 3 axes of Hamadan, Kerman shah, Azerbaijan, as a result, there is no limitation in providing electricity for Industrial development in the Province
2- Capability, the advantages and abilities of economic in kurdistan Province
Suitable condition of the region, natural feature and climate have provided agricultural growth backgrounds and development in the Kurdistan. So that from 2.8 million hectares of the provinces area %49.6 are allocated to pastures, 29% are allocated to Agricultural ands & %11.4 protectional jungles of Zagross.
Due to the technical, water & soil resources, Kurdistan is one of the fertile provinces of the country and has the following ranks in Iran.
Fifth rank in sowing field.
Second rank in dry farming.
First rank in producing strawberry.
The most important agricultural products in Kurdistan are as follows (based on the official statistics of the year 2002)
Wheat (water &dry farming) 482,000 tons/year
Barley 42000 Tons/year
Grapes 61000 Tons/year
Strawberry 25000 Tons/year
Because of existing rich pastures and natural resources, Kurdistan has 3.5 million domestic animal (2.3% of the total of country ) Also, the province has a good talent in training fisheries & aquatics.
At present, there are 88 units of active fish training & 3 large complex pools for fish in Kurdistan.
2.2- Business and Commerce Section
Internal or External commerce Section of Kurdistan province has got the potential abilities and capacities.
By taking advantage of commercial chances we will be able to achieve a Permanent external commerce in Kurdistan province.
This province borders on Iraq, and they have got 230 km common border. Due to being too much cultural similarities among Kurds of Iran and Iraq they have got a mutual exchange commerce for a century. This province is located in an urban rapid -transit system in south and west north.
The construction and fundamental base of Kurdistan commerce has facilitated the business affairs in a short time because there are suitable Distributions net work, many Retailers and 30,000 Trade units. In recent years a lot of things have been done, like establishing three frontier markets with 42000 local merchants, The Income of these markets is more than 100,000,000 per a year. Based on the commercial affairs of these markets, Kurdistan has won the first level in the country.
There 13 bordered cooperation’s in the province with the population of 282000 frontiersmen. Official Exports and Imports have been established since 1935. The chamber of commerce in Kurdistan with active and efficient clerks are positive factors for the customs in order to export and import goods to other provinces in Iran and to our western neighbors like Iraq, Turkey, Syria, and Lebanon.
The following organizations support internal and external trades in the province, and they will do their best to conduct foreign commerce.
- TradeBanks have the abilities to perform international Business, and giving Credit .
- 1nsurance companies have the abilities to arrange and transfer the documents as well as commercial information in a short time in the field of Import and export .
- Internal and external markets are used. Internet site related to financial activities are established .
3- lndustry and Mine section
3.1- lndustry section
3.1.1- The list of Important industrial Manufactures in Kurdistan province.
||Kind of products
||Capacity / year
|Shire pastorizeh co
||Milk , cream , cheese , icecream
|Nassaji – Kurdistan co
||Yarn , cloth
||4000 ton , 10 million m2
|Shin – baft co
||7-2 million m2
|Nassaji ghorveh co
||4 million m2
|Gharb – baft co
|Zam zam plastic co
|Sadaf – dokme co
|Nik – aliaf co
||PP yarn and gunny
|Kurdistan gach co
|Granit sange saeid co
|Esten gharb co
|Sanaia maftooli kurdistan
||Wire , nail
|Chaman gol co
||Aseptic tomato paste
|Arde fajr co
||B. C. F yarn
|Ehia sanat bakhtar co
|Kashi kasra co
||Wafer , toffee , BonBon
|Faravary petroshimie co
|Chiman farsh co
|Garros sang co
|Arde golnam co
||Yarn (synthetic & cotton)
3.1.2- Kurdistan Industry at separation of cities.
||Manufacturing (active units)
||Projects (establishment permit)
|Qorveh – dehgolan
3.1.3- Kurdistan Industry at separation of industrial groups.
||Manufacturing (active units)
||Projects (establishment permit)
|Food , drugs & health
|Textile & leather
|Non – metallic mineral
|Metallic , electric & power
3.1.4- lmportantpermited industries Issued during recent year.
- 1.Food, Drugs, & Health Industries Group.(Nutritions, Pharmaceutical, & Hygienic Industries Group)
- Planfor production of Potato Processed (such as: starch, glucose, Mashed potatoes, Potato chips, Potatosticks,...)puree
- Plan for construction of Industrial complex for strawberry & agricultural fruits of the Province which includes units for the following processes:
- Productionof concentrate,
- Production of essence,
- Production of jam, compote,& marmalade.
- Planfor oil- processing& Production of pectinfrom sun seed.
- Processing& modern packaging of different Kinds of dried fruits, cereals, & edible powders.
- Processing & modern packaging of different species of vegetables, including.
-Vegetable Processing by the method of quick freezing, (IQF) Drying up the Vegetables,Classification & Packing of vegetables.
- Plan for suger production from beetroot under supervision & control of Plantation& Industry complex.
- Planfor sweet root (Liquorice) powder production.
- Plan for processing different Kind of Kitchen - garden fruits for mixed - pickles& salt - pickles.
- Plan for modern - packing for different Kinds of demostic animals & chicken meats.
- Plan for powdered - milk& other milk - processed productions.
- Plan for forming side Industries related to slaughter houses for domestic animals &chickens.
- Planfor Herbal- drugs production from local Plant species.
- Planfor factory construction for corn processing.
- Planfor mineral water filteration & packaging.
- Plan for production of different Kinds of Non - Alcoholic Sodas (drinks, beverages).
- Planfor production of raisins &vinegar from grapes.
- Planfor chicken - egg powder production.
- Metal, Electricity& Electronic Industries Group
- Plan for generating cluster Industries for production of automobile parts & agricultural instruments.
- Plan for assembling factory constrcution for vehicles.
- Plan for generating cluster Industries for production of homeappliances.
- Construction of metal- melting lower hand Industries.
- Planfor production of several Kinds of metal wire (crosses).
- Plan for production of different Kinds of transformators, protection boards, &electric control equipments, & assembling other electronic devices.
- Plan for production of equipments & Medical, orthopedy, dentistry devices and tools.
- Textile, Clothing, & Leather Industries Group.
- Plan for factory construction for wool spinning, weaving & dyeing.
- Plan for synthetic fibres production.
- Plan for leather production & production of salamore & leather products.
- Plan for different Kinds of non -woven textiles production.
- Plan for Jeen cloths production, which includes the follwing process:
Weaving. Dyeing, printing &sewing the garments. .
- Plan for produciton of artificial leather, including the following processes:
Carding, non -woven system & covering to the form-ofPU & PVC.
- Plan for factory construction for making cloth from the hair of a Kind of goats (meadow) & different local garments.
- Plan for production of delicate string by the ring - spinning system (short fibres ).
- Plan for production of acrilic blanket along with printing and so on. compeleting the whole process (for light acrilic blankets).
- Plan for production shoes from artificial leather.
- Non - Metal Minerals & Mine Industries Group.
- Plan for generating sillis powder production & grading, & glass Industries unit.
- Plan for formation & production of sillis fire - proof products powder.
- Plan for construction for modern stone cutting complex.
- Plan for opal glass vessels production.
- Plan for lightweight concrete - members production.
- Plan for production & grading mountainous gravel sand.
- Plan for fluorene processing.
- Plan for mineral cartridge - shells processing & production of concrete - members from The cartridge - shells.
- Plan forshale processing.
- Plan for prod uction of ceramic - magnets & mag netic stonewares.
- Plan for production & processing diamond powder.
- Plan for complex construction for producing Kinds of stone - products.
- Chemical & Cellulosic Industries Group
- Plan for collective production of chemical drugs.
- Plan for production of elastic & plastic parts for autoes and home appliances.
- Plan for refinery complex construction for poly ethylene granules & P.V.C .
- Plan for complex construction for resinic dyes Industries.
- Plan for production viscose string from straws.
- Plan for production of pasteboard or paper paste from the cane - brakes of Zariver lake of Marivan & region trees & one - year plants lops.
- Plan for complex construction for petro - chemical lower hand & side Industries production.
- Plan for factory construction for production of essence & texaphone from sap derivatives ofthe Iraninan turpentine tree.
- Plan forfilteration & refining of gum tragacanth.
- Plan for production of different Kinds of exports plastic toys.
- Plan for manganese production & processing of ferro -manganese & dioxide manganese.
- supporting Units
- Plan for site construction for Engineering sevices units
- Plan for constructon of research centre & technology park for electronic, micro - electronic & optic Industries.
- Plan for construction of industrial technology construction web sites & (I.T.C) center.
3.2.1- Mineral potentials.
Kurdistan province has got notable mineral resources, and decorative stones with a vast variety in color, are the most significant through minerals of this area.
Different kinds of minerals in Kurdistan are: Decorative stones (Marble, Red Marble , Granite , Travertine onyx) Unmetalicmineral (Quartz ,Feldspar , Mica , Dolomite, Florien , Beryl ,Water salt ) Metalicminerals (Iron ore , Magnesium , Antimony) Potentials for being explored (copper, Gold, Barite) There’re 140 active mines in Kurdistan at the moment. More than 4.5 million tons of different minerals are extracted form those mines annually, and 1350 persons reworking in the mentioned mines.
In addition to the systematic regional exploration projects which are done by the Geological Survey of Iran in Kurdistan, following all over the country, the Significant exploration are being down now, as follows:
3.2.2- Gold Exploration Project in Saqhez.
(By-The Geological Survey of Iran)
Based on the regional exploration of Saqhez sheet (1:100000) in 1996, a 200 Km2 region was identified a gold anomaly.
During 1998-2001 the project was continued by geochemical, heavy Mineral, litholigical sampling and preparing the 1:50000, 1:20000 and 1:5000 tectonic map of the area. At the moment the exploration is going ahead in 1:1000 scale.
The result of the processing test has showed that the ore has the capacity, of 2.5
3.2.3- Riotinto-Sesco Joint Venture Exploration In Kurdistan province.
Gold exploration project in Dashkasan - Qorveh by a foreign company, RIOTINTO, with the cooperation of an Iranian company, CESCO The Predicted investment is 250 million dollars.
The Dasshkasan area is located SE of the Takab gold belt and at the SE end of the Bijar - Ghorveh trend of NW-SE trending volcanic. Most of stones in this area belonged to Eocene to Pleistocene age intermediate to basic volcanic and cotain a set of minor cross cutting SW-NE trending structures. The intersection of these two sets of structures may have had an influence on the development of volcanism and an influence on the mineralization.
12000 meters of diamond drilling has been done up to now, and the samples have been sent to Ireland and Canada for analysis.
The highest gold recovery from the sulphore are (84.4 %) Was achieved. This has yielded a bulk flotation concentrate (12.8% by weight) containing 19.5 PPm.AU.
3.2.4- Active mines and variety of minerals in Kurdistan province .
||number of active mines
||Rate of annouly exploitation 1000 ton / year
||Reserve of mineral 1000 ton
|Silica a feldspar